Thursday, May 12, 2016

Blackwater River State Park, Holt, Florida

Thursday, May 12, 2016


We arrived at Florida's Blackwater River State Park mid afternoon.  We did't have much time to spend here since we will be leaving in the morning heading to Mississippi and then on to Arkansas. The campground was very clean and well kept.  All of the sites are back-in sites and offer some privacy with natural foliage between sites.


Kallie and I decided to hike one of the two trails in this park, while Kitty held the fort down at the campsite.  Juniper Lake Nature trail head was located in the campground, so we started out down this path.


We crossed over this boardwalk...


which led us to this sugar white sandy beach.  The  brilliant white sand provided quite a contrast to the dark tannic colored water which is typical in most of Florida's lakes and rivers.



Kallie loves these trails and can't wait to see what's around the next bend.  Her pace was a little faster than I cared to walk on this warm humid afternoon.  But, like a good dad, I let her set the pace and tried my best to keep up with her.  She let me stop just long enough to shoot these pictures, and then we were on the move again.



After several minutes of walking the sandy path and dodging tree branches, we came upon this pavilion located near one of the sandy beach areas. 



Kallie led me to a boardwalk which took us over this swamp.
I was quite thankful we didn't have to walk through this swamp without my snake proof body armor to protect me from slithering things that call this place home!


 After several more minutes of trying to keep up with my seven year old, we finally stepped onto one of the paved roads that led us back to the campground.  I felt invigorated after that brisk walk and was ready to go another mile or two!  But my hiking partner was plum tuckered out and wasn't going to budge from the comfort of her cot!



It's time to turn in for the night.  We will be heading for Mississippi in the morning.  Ssshhh!  I'm sure Kallie is dreaming about that hike, don't wake her up!

No comments:

Post a Comment